Always buy the best quality materials that you can buy. Buying cheap will probably result in disappointing results and this will deter you from trying again.
8 Rules of painting
2. Put your first stroke down and move on with another stroke. Work your strokes and let your strokes work you.
3. Stop the painting before you think you should.
4. Put your painting aside and start another painting.
5. Always keep in mind that you are your own best critic.
6. Perfection in painting is probably not possible. Excellence in painting is for people who appreciate the poetry of your soul.
7. Your style is what you’re doing academically wrong. Radicalise yourself – you only have one life to show you’ve got style.
8. You need to paint with enough assurance and confidence to know you can do whatever you like. So paint your story and make painting your life. Be honest with yourself about your progress. Always try to do a better job than you did the day before.
I’m not sure there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.
( Robert Genn)